Thursday, March 02, 2006

Parshas Terumah

In his drash on this week’s haftorah, Rabbi Dovid Green (http://www.torah.org/learning/haftorah/terumah.html) points out that the prophecy revealed to Shlomo HaMelech, "(Regarding) The house you are building, if you walk in My statues, adhere to My laws and guard all My mitzvos .... I will dwell amongst the Jewish people and not forsake My nation, Israel." (M'lochim I 6:12,13) comes as the exterior of the Beis HaMikdash is completed and the construction of interior to begin. As the outside of the building should be consonant with the glory and majesty of the Shechina which dwells within, so to must the interior reflect to G-d the honor and devotion of the builders.

The aron is built by taking a box of shittim wood and casing it outside and in with gold to provide a proper place for the lukkot inscribed by the finger of G-d. Is this not also the way of the Jew? We take our base material world and our bodies and by making a place for G-d, transform our interior life and our relationship the world to glittering gold.

No comments: